message_ix v2.0.0 coincides with ixmp v2.0.0.
Support for Python 2.7 is dropped as it has reached end-of-life, meaning no further releases will be made even to fix bugs.
See PEP-0373 and https://python3statement.org.
message_ix users must upgrade to Python 3.
Command-line interface (CLI). Use
message-ix as the program for all command-line operations:
message-ixalso provides all the features of the
Configuration. ixmp adds a streamlined system for storing information about different platforms, backends, and databases that store Scenario data. See the ixmp release notes for migration notes.
- #285: Drop support for Python 2.
- #284: Add a suggested sequence/structure to how to run the Westeros tutorials.
- #281: Test and improve logic of
- #269: Enforce
year-indexed columns as integers.
- #256: Update to use
ixmp.configand improve CLI.
- #255: Add
message-ix nightlyCLI command group for slow-running tests.
- #249, #259: Build MESSAGE and MESSAGE_MACRO classes on ixmp model API; adjust Scenario.
- #235: Add a reporting tutorial.
- #236, #242, #263: Enhance reporting.
- #232: Add Westeros tutorial for modelling seasonality, update existing tutorials.
- #276: Improve add_year for bounds and code cleanup
MESSAGEix 1.2.0 adds an option to set the commodity balance to strict equality, rather than a supply > demand inequality. It also improves the support for models with non-equidistant years.
Release 1.2.0 coincides with ixmp
release 0.2.0, which
provides full support for
clone() across platforms (database
instances), e.g. from a remote database to a local HSQL database; as well as
other improvements. See the ixmp release notes for further details.
- #161: A feature for adding new periods to a scenario.
- #205: Implement required changes related to timeseries-support and cloning across platforms (see ixmp#142).
- #196: Improve testing by re-using
- #187: Test for cumulative bound on emissions.
- #182: Fix cross-platform cloning.
- #178: Bugfix of the
PRICE_EMISSIONvariable in models with non-equidistant period durations.
- #176: Add
- #173: The meth:~.Scenario.solve command now takes additional arguments when solving with CPLEX. The cplex.opt file is now generated on the fly during the solve command and removed after successfully solving.
- #172: Add option to set
- #154: Enable documentation build on ReadTheDocs.
- #138: Update documentation and tutorials.
- #131: Update clone function argument scen to scenario with planned deprecation of the former.
This patch introduces a few backwards-incompatible changes to database management.
If you see an error message like:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ixmp/core.py:81: in __init__ self._jobj = java.ixmp.Platform("Python", dbprops) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ self = <jpype._jclass.at.ac.iiasa.ixmp.Platform object at 0x7ff1a8e98410> args = ('Python', '/tmp/kH07wz/test.properties') def _javaInit(self, *args): object.__init__(self) if len(args) == 1 and isinstance(args, tuple) \ and args is _SPECIAL_CONSTRUCTOR_KEY: self.__javaobject__ = args else: self.__javaobject__ = self.__class__.__javaclass__.newClassInstance( > *args) E org.flywaydb.core.api.FlywayExceptionPyRaisable: org.flywaydb.core.api.FlywayException: Validate failed: Migration checksum mismatch for migration 1 E -> Applied to database : 1588531206 E -> Resolved locally : 822227094
Then you need to update your local database. There are two methods to do so:
- Delete it (you will lose all data and need to regenerate it). The default location is ~/.local/ixmp/localdb/.
- Manually apply the underlying migrations. This is not particularly easy, but allows you to save all your data. If you want help, feel free to get in contact on the listserv.
New Property File Layout¶
If you see an error message like:
usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jpype/_jclass.py:111: at.ac.iiasa.ixmp.exceptions.IxExceptionPyRaisable ---------------------------- Captured stdout setup ----------------------------- 2018-11-13 08:15:17,410 ERROR at.ac.iiasa.ixmp.database.DbConfig:357 - missing property 'config.server.config' in /tmp/hhvE1o/test.properties 2018-11-13 08:15:17,412 ERROR at.ac.iiasa.ixmp.database.DbConfig:357 - missing property 'config.server.password' in /tmp/hhvE1o/test.properties 2018-11-13 08:15:17,412 ERROR at.ac.iiasa.ixmp.database.DbConfig:357 - missing property 'config.server.username' in /tmp/hhvE1o/test.properties 2018-11-13 08:15:17,413 ERROR at.ac.iiasa.ixmp.database.DbConfig:357 - missing property 'config.server.url' in /tmp/hhvE1o/test.properties ------------------------------ Captured log setup ------------------------------ core.py 80 INFO launching ixmp.Platform using config file at '/tmp/hhvE1o/test.properties' _________________ ERROR at setup of test_add_spatial_multiple __________________ @pytest.fixture(scope="session") def test_mp(): test_props = create_local_testdb() # start jvm ixmp.start_jvm() # launch Platform and connect to testdb (reconnect if closed) > mp = ixmp.Platform(test_props)
Then you need to update your property configuration file. The old file looks like:
config.name = message_ix_test_db@local jdbc.driver.1 = org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver jdbc.url.1 = jdbc:hsqldb:file:/path/to/database jdbc.user.1 = ixmp jdbc.pwd.1 = ixmp jdbc.driver.2 = org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver jdbc.url.2 = jdbc:hsqldb:file:/path/to/database jdbc.user.2 = ixmp jdbc.pwd.2 = ixmp
The new file should look like:
config.name = message_ix_test_db@local jdbc.driver = org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver jdbc.url = jdbc:hsqldb:file:/path/to/database jdbc.user = ixmp jdbc.pwd = ixmp
- #202: Added the “Development rule of thumb” section from the wiki and the Tutorial style guide to the Contributor guidelines. Tweaked some formatting to improve readibility.
- #113: Upgrading to MESSAGEix 1.1: improved representation of renewables, share constraints, etc.
- #109: MACRO module added for initializing models to be solved with MACRO. Added scenario-based CI on circleci.
- #99: Fixing an error in the compuation of the auxiliary GAMS reporting variable
- #89: Fully implementing system reliability and flexibity considerations (cf. Sullivan).
- #88: Reformulated capacity maintainance constraint to ensure that newly installed capacity cannot be decommissioned within the same model period as it is built in.
message_ix.Scenario.vintage_active_years()now limits active years to those after the first model year or the years of a certain technology vintage.
- #82: Introducing “add-on technologies” for mitigation options, etc.
- #81: Share constraints by mode added.
- #80: Share constraints by commodity/level added.
- #78: Bugfix:
message_ix.Scenario.solve()uses ‘MESSAGE’ by default, but can be provided other model names.
rename()function can optionally keep old values in the model (i.e., copy vs. copy-with-replace).
- #74: Activity upper and lower bounds can now be applied to all modes of a technology.
- #67: Use of advanced basis in cplex.opt turned off by default to avoid conflicts with barrier method.
- #65: Bugfix for downloading tutorials. Now downloads current installed version by default.
- #60: Add basic ability to write and read model input to/from Excel.
- #59: Added MacOSX CI support.